11 nov 2014

Discovering Guatemala - Panajachel, Lago de Atitlàn, Chichicastenango and Antigua!

When I bought the tickets one day before leaving I wasn't sure it would have been a great idea...I told to myself: "Damn Sofia, stop doing crazy things" - but I just couldn't help, travel was calling me, and my Trolley Fucsia was looking at me with hungry eyes!!!

Copa Airlines, Panama City->Guatemala City and San Savador->Panama City. The idea was to visit Guatemala on my own for 4-5 days and then pass to El Salvador by bus to visit my salvadoreña friend Karla other 4-5 days. Eventually, it turned out that my friend Ben -who is backpacking CentralAmerica in these months, btw check his Guatemalan video here!!- was in Guate with other friends exactly the days I was there, and in the same cities! **Such a perfect coincidence!**

Let me tell you about GUATE.

5 days are not enough to visit all Guatemala: I only managed, indeed, to visit a little area of the country: in the order: Panajachel, right on Lago the Atitlàn, el mercado de Chichicastenango, and Antigua. Following the suggestion of my friends, I didn't even stopped by the capital, Guatemala City (a dangerous and not really interesting place), therefore when I landed in the city I moved directly to Panajachel. I wish I had more time though, because even if I got to see the best part of the country, I still missed the Maya temples of Tikal, and the Festival de Sumpango, 20 minutes from Antigua, which is a unique cultural event they do the 1 of November (right the day I was around there!) for All Saints day. But for that day my friends had planned a full-day boat party in Lake Atitlàn, so I definitely could not miss it!!

But definitely - if you visit Guatemala you can't miss el Lago de Atitlàn (with its beautiful volcanoes and villages all around), Antigua, and possibly Chichicastenango (with its typical thursday and sunday artisanal market).

As always, I let the photos speak. I hope they inspire you to go visit this amazing country!!!

1. Panajachel and Lago de Atitlàn
Playing with a kid
Making new friends =)
Portaits
As promised - Ben in The Trolley Fucsia!!
Before taking off with the party boat - For Ines' birthday!
Sunset - lago de Atitlàn and its 3 volcanoes behind
Sunset on the Lake
Que paz!
After sleeping in the most beautiful bungalows in front of the shore, good morning!
Boat people!
Boat
En casa de Inés
Halloween Party
 2. El Mercado de Chichicastenango
 3. Antigua 
Coffee pickers
The coffee experience - visiting a Finca de Café
Coffee beans
Between coffee plants



My lunch, for 1.5 euros
Antigua market



me in Guatemalan style



Waiting for the sunset on top of our hostel "Hacia el Sur"

...Go living the Guatemalan experience !! Thank you all for the great time spent =)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento